Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Paradox Lost

Truth as found in paradox, may to some not really be truth at all. But one recipe used to balance an idea is to add the words"but not really" after any phrase you hear or think that seems to tilt the scales towards "absolute truth". Truth untested or unchallenged is suspect to real thinkers who have even the smallest knowledge of the history of ideas in the world. The first time I was exposed to this notion of "truth in paradox" was while playing music with Col. Bruce Hampton in Atlanta. Having survived the church "coming in and out of my brain whenever it pleased", my thinking at the time was limited by the "virus software" of the church and not much thinking of my own was really going on. However, I begin to understand music through this new "but not really" way of thinking, and it did one simple thing. I found when I ran that "but not really tool" through my software before I formed an opinion, that I was sparing myself the rigidity, that to me, was often the death knell to the creative part of my mind. Since then I have understood that for me at least, my greatest and most original work has come out of my most sincere and heartfelt moments of confusion. "Coming to conclusions" about anything in life should be done very carefully and in almost a sacred kind of way. But not really, because some things are lite weight and always will be. But not really, because even lite weight things can matter more than we realize at times. But not really, all things are heavy if we respect them as important parts of our short time here on earth. But not really.....
In short, we have lost paradox because of our enormous desire to be right and to come to conclusions. Information is as good as experience, but not really. As Col. Hampton would always say.. "I've changed but not at all" and "don't worry about nothing cause nothing's going to work out just fine".

No comments: