Wednesday, October 13, 2004

The Eyes Have It (for Allison Anne)

Some friends of mine just had a new baby girl. This was written for her and for her parents who place music as a high priority in their lives. Any child born in a house of music is blessed to have those sounds during their first thoughts. This is my take on what those thoughts might be. Music remains one of the most amazing and under-utilized civilized substances on the planet. It has powers that are yet to be discovered. The young mind hears it for what it is and feels its power, long before finding out that it is often just background noise for the average uncurious and unimaginative human ear. This child will be blessed to know the difference. Congrats to Mother Superior and Dr. Tsha.



The Eyes Have It

See the light as I look around,
voices ringing far and near.
I'm carried closer to the sound,
and now it's loud and clear.

Little things hangin' in my world today
"the eyes" are looking in on me.
Lay and listen it's another day,
I think my ears can start to see.

Don't know what it is, but I love that sound
long ago, it was far away.
But now it's close and comforts me,
I hope this is where I stay.

I hear it in the morning, when "the eyes" look in,
it follows us from room to room.
The eyes sound good when they look at me,
like those times in my mother's womb.

Those eyes bring me everything I need,
I love when they gather around.
I'll never mind how long they stare,
because their making sweet mother sounds.

Here is comes again, how I love that sound
those eyes sure have it when they look down.
Long long ago it sounded far away.
Now it's close, I know that I can stay.
May that sound never go away.

No comments: