Thursday, March 26, 2009

Living a life that Matters

This is quoted at the end of the film "The Beautiful Truth" about Dr. Max Gerson and Gerson Therapy.(Itunes.com) I've been attempting 90% raw food eating or at least natural food eating for almost one year now. I have lost weight, but more importantly on my 50th birthday physical exam my doctor told me I was 33 on paper. I wanna live. It's that simple. This poem pushes reset for me.
I post it for the possible good it may bring to those who take the time to read it. Josephson is a wonderful man involved heavily in the field of ethics. I don't know of him beyond the internet, but I love his choice of words here.

Jeff Mosier 3/26/09



What Will Matter

Author: Michael Josephson

Ready or not, some day it will all come to an end.
There will be no more sunrises, no minutes, hours or days.
All the things you collected, whether treasured or forgotten, will pass to someone else.
Your wealth, fame and temporal power will shrivel to irrelevance.
It will not matter what you owned or what you were owed.
Your grudges, resentments, frustrations and jealousies will finally disappear.
So too, your hopes, ambitions, plans and to-do lists will expire.
The wins and losses that once seemed so important will fade away.
It won't matter where you came from or what side of the tracks you lived on at the end.
It won't matter whether you were beautiful or brilliant.
Even your gender and skin color will be irrelevant.

So what will matter? How will the value of your days be measured?

What will matter is not what you bought, but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave.
What will matter is not your success, but your significance.
What will matter is not what you learned, but what you taught.
What will matter is every act of integrity, compassion, courage or sacrifice that enriched, empowered or encouraged others to emulate your example.

What will matter is not your competence, but your character.
What will matter is not how many people you knew, but how many will feel a lasting loss when you're gone.
What will matter is not your memories, but the memories that live in those who loved you.
What will matter is how long you will be remembered, by whom and for what.

Living a life that matters doesn't happen by accident.
It's not a matter of circumstance but of choice.
Choose to live a life that matters.

5 comments:

Jo~mama said...

I too am creating a living food life at age 50 and it has made me feel more "awakened" to what's going on around and inside me. It does that~ you become more sensitized to the energy you send out into the world and what you attract . Thanks for sharing "Living a life that Matters"

jennifer Nichols said...

rev!
that poem was so beautiful and so true... thanks so much for sharing that. WONDERFUL!!:o)

I agree about raw foods! I really try to eat local produce too. that is very important to me. The farmer's markets in abingdon va and bristol (state street) have grown so much in the past 2 yrs thanks to local food movements. My parents live on a 171 acre farm in Richlands, va and alway put out a huge garden. I think it's so awesome that my mom is teaching my kids ( same as she taught me) to garden and take care of chickens, cows and sheep!! it's really come full circle on that one!! :o) ( very foxfire!!:o)

take care! and keep blogging!!!
jennyd:o)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jeff. IMO, it sounds like you could've written this one yourself. You've certainly lived a life that matters to us.

- Pam

Sandra Henderson said...

Oh my. beautiful! Did you write this? I love it!

Sandra Henderson said...

Sorry, I see the name at the top now. I was so mesmerized by the words..... so true.